As an intern at the Frick Art Reference Library, one of my projects was to read Matilda Gay’s diaries which form part of the Walter and Matilda Gay Collection in The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives. While the diaries have been previously excerpted in publications (e.g.
On November 17, 1914, Henry Clay Frick and his wife Adelaide moved into their newly constructed residence at 1 East 70th Street in New York, now the home of The Frick Collection.
Access to the Brooklyn Museum Libraries and Archives has been limited since last summer because of a major renovation of the second floor of the museum and the retirement of a key library staff member. The necessary renovation is allowing for the installation of climate control as well as new galleries devoted to the Museum's Asian and Islamic collections. There will also be a new gallery space devoted to the display of Libraries and Archives collections when the renovation is completed around late 2015.
During World War II, the Frick Art Reference Library played a pivotal role in the international effort to identify and protect monuments and works of art in Europe from damage and destruction by armed forces. Helen Clay Frick, the founder and Director of the Library, invited the Committee of the American Council of Learned Societies on Protection of Cultural Treasures in War Areas to take up residence at the Library from 1943 to 1945.
More than four years ago, at the end of 2008, MoMA and P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center officially completed their 10-year affiliation process. At that time, The Museum of Modern Art Archives received custody of the organizational records, curatorial documents, exhibition paraphernalia, and other materials of historical importance saved by the institution over four decades of groundbreaking programming.
Libraries can contain unexpected treasures. Who would have guessed that the Frick Art Reference Library possesses a collection of seventy-four photographs of artists in their Paris studios circa 1885 to 1892? The photographs were given to the Library in 1940 by the American polar artist Frank Wilbert Stokes (1858–1955). Stokes had much earlier (1916–19) tried unsuccessfully to persuade Henry Clay Frick (1849–1919) to visit his studio and buy some of his paintings.
Ok, they were previously 0% findable. Still, by adding the MoMA Film Department Special Collections inventory to the MoMA web site, film researchers can now discover over 100 primary-source collections on film-related figures and topics. The processed (and partially-processed) collections include papers on individuals (filmmakers, distributors, animators, actors), studios (Biograph, Edison, Kalem), and groups (Film and Photo League).
A collaborative project to digitize the exhibition checklists and pamphlets of the Macbeth Gallery, held by the Thomas J.